Google analytics can be so confusing and then just when you get it figured out they change it! I hear this all of the time and you’re right. I think the whole system is harder than it has to be, but my brain isn’t big enough to figure out a better way so I’ll just leave it to Google and try to keep up.
Today, I’m going to show you some basic tips to set up your GA account so that you can understand the analytics that you’re looking at and know where to get the information needed to work with other companies.
What Is It?
First, of course, Google Analytics is a system set up to allow you to track statistics on your website. These statistics can help you improve your message, build your business or a bigger audience.
This blogpost HERE is a list of all of the important analytics terms that you need to understand before going into your analytics account.
How Do I Get It?
If you don’t already have an account you can go HERE and sign up for a free account. Once you have your account you need to connect it to your website. The easiest way to do this is to download a plugin. I recommend the MonsterInsights plugin but there are a lot of them. Make sure it has been updated recently, is compatible with your theme, and is being used by others.
You Can Have Analytics In Lot’s Of Places
Google Analytics is no longer just a website thing. You can GA to your MailChimp account (and I’m sure even more companies have this, but I’m a MC girl). You can also connect to your FB shop! But, today, we’re going to concentrate on the website – GA connection.
If you don’t want to use a plugin to connect your website you can do that as well. The plugin would be easier, but I am of the theory that less is more so the least amount of plugins I have to use the better. Most website problems come from plugin conflicts. I’m going to show you both ways.
Manually Connecting Your Google Analytics Account
You’re going to go into your GA account, but you should be signed into both your website and your GA account to make it easier. You need a code and to find that you need to:
- Look on the left side of your dashboard at the very bottom and choose *ADMIN*.
- You will see several columns of tabs. In the middle column it says *PROPERTY*.
- The 3rd choice says *TRACKING INFORMATION* Click on that.
- Click on *TRACKING CODE*
- You will see the code towards the bottom on the right. COPY CODE.
- Go back to your website and go to the head section of your website. You can usually find this under *THEME SETTING* or DIVI theme options or you may have to look it up for your particular theme. Save and you’ve done it! Check the images out below.
Using A Plugin
If you’d rather use a plugin I completely understand and I use MonsterInsights all of the time on websites. Go to PLUGINS>>ADD NEW in the search bar type in MonsterInsights. Hit INSTALL>>ACTIVATE.
Go to MonsterInsights on your dashboard and you will see a button that says SETUP WIZARD. Click the button and it will walk you through step by step with very simple instructions!
Whichever method you use, however, you get your statistics you need to know where to look and what you’re looking at. Next week, we’ll do just that!
- Google Analytics Pt 3: The Final Wrap-Up - September 27, 2020
- Google Analytics Part 2: Understanding The Translation - September 20, 2020
- Google Analytics Part 1: The Setup - September 13, 2020